Arthritis New Zealand facilitates the provision of quality services and programmes, supporting those affected by arthritis through public awareness, information and advice, direct support, promoting the issues affecting people with arthritis and promoting research. From our offices located in Wellington, Auckland and Christchurch, we provide services throughout the country.
Arthritis is one of the leading causes of disability in New Zealand
The World Health Organisation (WHO) global burden of disease study released in 2012 showed musculoskeletal conditions, including arthritis, are leading causes of burden of disease internationally. While not the leading cause of death the increasing rates of osteoarthritis and lower back pain and the lower age of diagnosis for these conditions means that for individuals, the community and the government these conditions have a huge impact on the life and health of people affected..
There is no cure for arthritis, but it can usually be managed, and most people with arthritis can continue to lead productive and fulfilling lives. For the person who has been diagnosed with arthritis and for the family members who support them Arthritis New Zealand provides information, advice, support and links to others in a similar situation.
Improving the life of every person affected by arthritis
Source: The 2017 Arthritis New Zealand Annual Report
- We have advocacy programmes which promote the needs of people living with arthritis.
- We actively engage with and attempt to influence government policy that affects people with arthritis, e.g. health, work issues.
- We work in partnership with other agencies to address issues of musculoskeletal health.
- We are an active leader in the New Zealand charity sector.
- We conduct ongoing awareness campaigns throughout the country.
- We have an active media presence that reinforces the role of Arthritis New Zealand as first point of contact for people with arthritis.
- We produce high quality information resources in electronic and printed format.
- We generate high levels of engagement with our website and social media in order to fulfill our strategic goals.
- We offer group and individual advice to people in a timely and relevant manner.
- We offer phone and web based services that meet the needs of identified populations.
- We deliver effective and targeted programmes to priority populations.
- We support primary and secondary health care services to meet the needs of people with arthritis.
- We award research grants that support New Zealand-based research into arthritis, with the view to improving health outcomes for New Zealanders with arthritis.
- We commission research that demonstrates outcomes that further our strategy.
- We evaluate research programmes in order to demonstrate outcomes.
- We publish and promote research outcomes.
- We provide a range of volunteer-led support services nationally.
- We provide a Peer Support programmes for people newly diagnosed with arthritis.
- We support volunteers so that they can develop and run programmes throughout the country.
- We provide support services for priority populations groups.
- We review our organisational and governance model.
- We implement effective and sustainable funding to meet or exceed programme needs.
- We have developed a role as an umbrella for organisations with similar goals.
- We ensure the organisation meets current best practice processes in financial, IT and human resource management.