Pharmac is calling for submissions on a proposal to fund a biosimilar brand of adalimumab (Amgevita) which means that
- All new patients will start use of Amgevita from 1 February 2022
- All existing Humira patients whose prescribers think can be changed would need to move onto Amgevita before August 2022
There is also a proposal to widen the access to adalimumab so people can stay on their treatment for 2 years instead of the current 6 months before further assessment is required, and removing dosing restrictions.
Click the button below to read the Pharmac media release about these proposed changes.
Arthritis New Zealand will be making a submission on these proposed changes and we would like your feedback as we will be submitting from a consumer perspective.
We have identified the following key issues for consumers but want your feedback before we finalise our submission:
- The importance of providing the equivalent of the excellent AbbVie Care which includes supports such as helping with injecting, and access to an online patient community
- Asking what consumer education would be rolled out with these impending changes and how effectively this can be done within the timeframe proposed
- Supporting the timing and prescriber changes proposed as improving access for consumers as highlighted above
- Queries about easy will it be to access Humira for people who experience adverse effects from Amgevita.
Please email your feedback to
Awareness and Advocacy Manager
Francesca Holloway: firstname.lastname@example.org